2017 © Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Charlotte J. Wyche, RDH, MS; Esther M. Wilkins BS, RDH, DMD; Linda D. Boyd, RDH, RD, EdD
ISBN-10: 1-4511-9311-4 / ISBN-13: 978-1-4511-9311-4
Dental Hygiene, Dentistry
Considered the cornerstone text in almost every dental hygiene education program in the country, Clinical Practice of the Dental Hygienist, 12e helps students develop the knowledge and skills they need for successful, evidence-based practice in today’s rapidly changing oral health care environment. Written by one of the preeminent voices in dental hygiene education, the book progresses through crucial topics in dental hygiene in a straightforward, outline format, making information easy to locate, understand, and reference.
To help readers prepare for effective, culturally sensitive practice, six sections of the 12th Edition conform to the Dental Hygiene Process of Care: Assessment, Diagnosis, Care Planning, Implementation, Education, and, new to this edition, Documentation. Updated and revised throughout, this edition includes new material on motivational interviewing, risk assessment, and alternate practice settings, and is enhanced by new clinically relevant color photos, and real-world examples.
- • Updated section on Documentation as a part of the Dental Hygiene Process of Care, this brings the clinical care of a patient full circle.
- • New coverage of motivational interviewing shows students how to use this proven communication method to elicit and strengthen the patient’s intrinsic motivation to work toward positive change in oral health.
- • Updated content on Risk Assessment for Oral Disease added to Chapters 12, 19, and 27 prepares readers for this key aspect of effective practice.
- • New clinically relevant color photos and real world examples help readers connect what they’re learning to practice.
- • New information on alternative practice settings prepares readers for successful practice.
- • A detailed outline format makes information easier to locate and is ideal for students preparing for Licensure Board examinations.
- • Step-by-step instructions cover all aspects of dental hygiene from radiologic diagnosis and technique to treating patients with special needs and medical/dental areas of concern, such as infectious diseases, allergic reactions, blood disorders, and medications.
- • Everyday Ethics boxes give students an opportunity to explore the types of clinical problems they are likely to encounter in real-life practice.
- • Factors to Teach the Patient boxes cover topics of interest when teaching patients, family members, and the community self-care and responsibility for oral health.
- • In-depth coverage of Documentation includes example documentation notes written in the SOAP notes format, demonstrating the importance of including such notes in each patient’s permanent record.
- • Chapter-opening Outlines provide an at-a-glance overview and help readers locate specific topics quickly.
- • Chapter-opening Learning Objectives provide a road map to important information that must be mastered.
- • Key Words boxes identify spelling and define new vocabulary terms in context. Each key word is listed in the index to facilitate quick reference to all definitions.
Doody's Core Titles (DCT)
Essential Purchase Title (EPT)
Specialty Score: 3 Health Sciences - Dental Auxiliaries
Table of Contents