Gail I. Smith, MA, RHIA, CCS-P
ISBN-10: 1-58426-682-1 / ISBN-13: 978-1-58426-682-2
Coding & Classification, Healthcare Informatics
Beginning and intermediate coding students will excel with the 2018 edition of Basic Current Procedural Terminology and
HCPCS Coding. Gain basic training and practice in the application of procedural codes from the Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®)
and the Healthcare Procedure Coding System (HPCPS). CPT codes effective January 1, 2018 are explained throughout the text.
With a new four-color design, readers can expect a thorough learning experience through real-world exercises, operative reports,
and surgical illustrations. This edition provides concise descriptions of the most common surgical procedures with a dedicated
chapter for evaluation and management (E/M) coding, and includes ancillary sections in Radiology, Pathology, and Anesthesiology.
Each chapter includes exercises to build your knowledge.
- • New chapter 12, Computer-Assisted Coding, includes skills and knowledge for coding professionals and a CAC software simulation practice exercise
- • New four-color design with updated artwork to help students visualize anatomy and related surgical procedures as they practice coding
- • Appendix B expanded to include 75 case studies
- • Complete explanation of symbols and formatting used in CPT and HCPCS coding, providing a foundation for learning and application
- • Lesson on how to use AMA's CPT Assistant to support coding decisions
- • Illustration of the connection between coding and reimbursement
- • Detailed chapters on modifiers, HCPCS Level II (national codes), and reimbursement provide targeted learning for both hospital and physician office coding
- • Skill-building exercises and review questions for every chapter, with odd-numbered answers located in appendix C
- • Answers to all of the exercises and chapter review questions are located in the instructor manual, available only to approved faculty of educational programs
- • Downloadable online student ancillaries include web resources, glossary, and E/M documentation guidelines
Doody's Core Titles (DCT)
Specialty Score: 2.73 Health Sciences - Health Information Management
Table of Contents