2020 © AHIMA Press
Gail I. Smith, MA, RHIA, CCS-P
ISBN-10: 1-58426-747-X / ISBN-13: 978-1-58426-747-8
Coding & Classification, Allied Health, Basic Sciences, Healthcare Informatics
Beginning and intermediate coding students will excel with the 2020 edition of Basic Current Procedural Terminology and HCPCS Coding. Gain basic training and practice in the application of procedural codes from Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®) and the Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS). CPT codes effective January 1, 2020, are explained throughout the text.
Readers can expect a thorough learning experience through real-world exercises, operative reports, and full-color surgical illustrations. This edition provides concise descriptions of the most common surgical procedures with dedicated chapters for evaluation and management (E/M) coding and includes ancillary sections in Radiology, Pathology, and Anesthesiology.
- • Fully updated for the 2020 CPT codes and coding guidelines
- • New exercises simulate the nuanced coding scenarios a coding professional is likely to encounter in the real world
- • Four-color design with updated artwork helps students visualize anatomy and related surgical procedures as they practice coding
- • Appendix B includes more than 75 case studies
- • Complete explanation of symbols and formatting used in CPT and HCPCS coding provides a foundation for learning and application
- • Detailed chapters on modifiers, HCPCS Level II (national codes), and reimbursement provide targeted learning for both hospital and physician office coding
- • Odd-numbered answers to chapter questions are included in appendix C
- • Answers to all of the exercises and chapter review questions are located in the instructor manual, available only to approved faculty of educational programs
- • Downloadable online student ancillaries include web resources, glossary, and E/M documentation guidelines
Table of Contents