2023 © F. A. Davis Company
Nancy A. Litch, MS, RDN; Erin E. Mazur MSN, RN, FNP-BC
Nutrition & Dietetics, Allied Health, Basic Sciences, Evidence Based Medicine, Nursing, Physician Assistant
An AJN Book of the Year Award Winner!
Meet the ever-changing demands of providing quality nutritional care for patients across the lifespan. This popular text provides a strong foundation in the science of nutrition and a clear understanding of how to apply that knowledge in practice, recognizing the need for nurses to work with other healthcare professionals to ensure optimal nutrition in patient care.
- • Emphasis on clinical applications, including “Clinical Application” boxes that illustrate how nutrition information is pertinent to providing health care
- • Life cycle approach that includes screening tools and nutritional interventions for infants, children, adolescents, and mature adults, as well as pregnant and lactating women.
- • “Genomic Gems” boxes that highlight the links between a person's genetic make-up and utilization of nutrients and dietary substances
- • “Case Studies” with proposed Care Plans to illustrate how the nutrition principles described in the chapter are applied in specific clinical situations
- • Nutrient recommendations and food label data, including updated DRIs.
- • Cautions for unregulated supplements and descriptions of interactions of food, drug, and over-the-counter nutrients.
- • Assessment tools and tables throughout, including Food Handling Guidelines, Labeling Regulations, Research Summaries, and Wellness Tips
- • “Teamwork” exercises focusing on nutritional documentation from different care providers, including dietitians, physical therapists, and speech therapists.
New to this Edition:
- • Revised & Streamlined! Thoroughly updated, reviewed, and revised throughout to reflect the latest developments in research and practice.
- • Updated! The latest nutritional guidelines and information, the Institute of Medicine’s recommendations for school meals, and references to government websites that reflect current recommendations and government programs that encourage healthy eating, as well as food allergy guidelines
- • New! Clinical Judgment questions at the end of each chapter to provoke imaginative thought and foster discussion within the framework of Safe and Effective Nursing Care
- • Expanded! Coverage of relevant culture and social issues, digestive health, probiotics, sustainability, and naturally functional foods
- • More! Emphasis on Safe and Effective Nursing Care
Quotes, Reviews or Testimonials
"While there are many basic nutrition textbook options for nursing students, this one may be attractive to some professors since it includes a test bank of over 450 questions. The update does offer the reader solid, basic information regarding nutrition in the context of health."
-- Amy Hess Fischl, MS RDN LDN BC-ADM CDE (University of Chicago Medical Center) Doody's Review
Intended for nursing students, dietetic assistants, diet technicians and "others." This is an appropriate audience since it does cover very basic topics, giving just enough information. One author is a nurse, the other is a registered dietitian nutritionist, and both are qualified to discuss the topics at hand.
Table of Contents