2021 © Jones & Bartlett Learning
Ruth E. McCall, BS, MT (ASCP)
ISBN-10: 1-284-20627-0 / ISBN-13: 978-1-284-20627-2
Basic Sciences, Laboratory & Diagnosis
Phlebotomy Essentials, Seventh Edition provides accurate, up-to-date, and practical information and instruction in phlebotomy procedures and techniques, along with a comprehensive background in phlebotomy theory and principles. It is appropriate for use as an instructional text or as a reference for those who wish to update skills or study for national certification. Ensure a confident transition from classroom to clinic with this proven, approachable phlebotomy resource. Phlebotomy Essentials, Seventh Edition easily instills the core knowledge and clinical understanding behind safe, effective patient communication and interaction.
Enhanced with new images, a more efficient design, and new contributions from leading subject matter experts, this updated edition details how today’s phlebotomists work in an approach optimized for how today’s students learn. Combined with an optional Workbook, Exam Review book, and updated digital courseware, the latest edition of Phlebotomy Essentials represents a cornerstone of preparation for a successful career in phlebotomy.
The content in this new edition of Phlebotomy Essentials was designed in accordance with applicable National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS) competencies. Procedures have been written to conform to the latest OSHA safety regulations and, wherever applicable, standards developed by the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI).
Features and Benefits
Student Workbook for Phlebotomy Essentials
- • Applicable NAACLS competencies are listed at the beginning of each chapter
- • Key Terms and Learning Objectives begin each chapter and help students recognize important terms and concepts they will come across while reading the chapter
- • Consistently organized step-by-step Procedures with an explanation or rationale for each step assist the student in learning and understanding phlebotomy techniques
- • Key Points emphasize important concepts to enhance student learning and reinforce the significance of the stated information
- • Cautions highlight critical information to help students identify and avoid dangerous practices
- • FYIs add interesting notes and fun facts that will enhance practical application of the information
- • Memory Joggers offer a proven way to aid some students in remembering important information
- • New Misconception Alerts clarify difficult-to-learn topics based on student data
- • New Law and Ethics boxes highlight potential ethical and legal dilemmas phlebotomists face
- • Additional Study and Review Questions at the conclusion of each chapter provide a review of content covered in the chapter
- • Case Studies bring concepts to life and enhance critical thinking skills at the end of each chapter
- • A Media Menu at the end of each chapter points out online student resources available for that chapter
- • Book icons throughout the text refer readers to Student Workbook for Phlebotomy Essentials and Phlebotomy Exam Review, for further opportunities to enrich their learning
The Student Workbook for Phlebotomy Essentials, Seventh Edition is designed to be used in combination with the seventh edition of the Phlebotomy Essentials textbook as a valuable learning resource that will help the student master the principles of phlebotomy by reinforcing key concepts and procedures covered in the textbook. The workbook offers a variety of exercises and tools to make it easy and fun for the student to understand and remember essential information and enhance critical thinking skills.
The Workbook provides students with chapter-by-chapter exercises to reinforce text material, assessment tools to evaluate their skills, realistic scenarios to gauge their grasp of key concepts, and skills logs to chart their progress. It also includes key terms matching exercises, chapter review questions, crossword puzzles, skill and knowledge drills, requisition activities, case studies, and procedure evaluation forms.
Features and Benefits
- • Chapter Objectives that correspond to those in the companion textbook
- • Matching Activities including Key Term Matching using the key terms from the corresponding textbook chapter
- • Labeling Activities to help students visualize important material
- • Knowledge Drills including fun scrambled word activities and brand new to this edition
- • A True/False activity that tests your grasp of concepts by turning a false statement into one that is true
- • Skills Drills, including requisition and procedure practice activities
- • Updated and in some cases expanded Chapter and Unit Crossword Puzzles to help make learning fun
- • Chapter Review Questions to test comprehension of chapter material
- • Case Studies to bring concepts to life including additional case studies new to this edition
Doody's Core Titles (DCT)
Specialty Score: 2.73 Health Sciences - Laboratory Technology
Table of Contents