© 2019 The Joint Commission. All rights reserved.
Joint Commission Resources
Patient Safety and Quality Improvement
IC Made Easy: Your Key to Understanding Infection Prevention and Control is just that—it makes the complex topic of infection prevention and control easy to understand for beginners as well for those who need a refresher and/or reference to the basic concepts.
IC Made Easy is a basic, practical guide for infection preventionists, clinicians, accreditation professionals, and other health care professionals who need to understand how to comply with Joint Commission Infection Prevention and Control (IC) standards and related requirements including National Patient Safety Goals and Leadership and Environment of Care standards. This book also briefly covers comparable Joint Commission International (JCI) infection prevention and control requirements. It provides an overview of the entire accreditation process, which is useful for those new to either Joint Commission or JCI accreditation.
In addition to accreditation requirements, the book delves into critical IC topics—key issues that all health care professionals must understand beyond the need for accreditation compliance. The book clearly explains hot topics such as the following:
- • Proper procedures for cleaning, disinfecting, and sterilizing medical equipment
- • Strategies to prevent health care-associated infections such catheter-associated urinary tract infections, surgical site infections, and central line-associated infections
- • The perennial challenge of consistent hand hygiene among staff Strategies for dealing with an influx of infectious patients
- • Preventing and controlling infections in the environment of care and more
This title is designed to help readers understand the following:
- • Infection prevention and control concepts that underlie Joint Commission and Joint Commission International (JCI) standards and other requirements
- • The Joint Commission and JCI accreditation process, including the onsite survey and tracer methodology
- • Patient safety systems and structures that lay the foundation for effective infection prevention and control
- • Strategies not only to comply with relevant accreditation standards but that also improve the quality and safety of patient care
- • Practical strategies for complying with key Joint Commission and JCI standards and related requirements
- • Downloadable tools that you can use in your own organization
- • Simple, colorful, easy-to-read format
- • Infection preventionists/infection prevention and control practitioners in all health care settings who need a comprehensive, easy-to-understand overview of accreditation requirements in IC
- • Both beginners and seasoned professionals alike who need a basic, easy-to-understand overview and guide to the complex concepts of infection prevention and control
- • Health care providers—nurses, physicians, and others on the front line of care—who need a better understanding of infection prevention and control and how they can contribute to safer patient care
- • Health care leadership—chief medical officers, chief nursing officers, quality improvement professionals, accreditation professionals, and others—who need a comprehensive overview of the main tenets of effective infection prevention and control in health care organizations
- • U.S. and international health care professionals
Table of Contents